Friday 18 July 2014

How long should you take for maternity leave?

On May 19th I started a new job working full time (36 1/4 hours per week) after having only three and a half months maternity leave. I always knew I wouldn't be taking the full nine months, although I would have loved to! I knew that I didn't want to go back to spending two hours a day travelling, especially when I had a baby to go home to each night. 
In April I started looking for jobs, and it just so happened I found, what appeared to be the perfect job just a ten minute drive away. The position was for Assistant Market Planner. I applied, had an interview two weeks later, got a call a few hours after my presentation/interview, I'd got the job! I was over the moon, then I realised, I'd be going back to work full time. No more maternity leave. 

At the time I knew it was the right decision, I'd be close to home and everyone finishes at 1pm on a Friday. Perfect! Or so I thought until I realised I'd be having to work some weekends. I have worked 12 days straight, from last Monday through to today. I am exhausted, BUT, I get to be close to home close to Matilda should anything happen and in the long term it's hopefully a move in the right direction in terms of my career!

I do sometimes feel a bit down in the dumps about having to go back to work so soon, but I don't feel like Matilda is missing out at all. Jason is with her three weekdays and I am with her every evening and weekend. I cherish every minute that we get to spend together and I don't regret the decision I had to make. We still get to do everything that we would have done had I continued my maternity leave, it's just in a shorter amount of time. I'm OK with that. 

I'm also lucky that Jason sends me regular updates and photos whilst I am at work, it's great. I sometimes get to see Matilda during my lunch break to, breaks the day up perfectly! 

Today I gave Matilda fruit puree for the first time, her face was priceless! 



No comments:

Post a Comment