Monday 25 August 2014

Veg Again

Since the age of 16 I've been vegetarian twice, each time for two years before giving in to meat cravings. I was always annoyed at myself each time I caved in and felt I could no longer commit to vegetarianism due to my lack of will power! Having vegan and vegetarian best friends I have never found it difficult to to cook vegan or vegetarian meals, I more often than not prefer to cook and eat this way and I love vegan baking!



Since having Matilda, I have been very health conscious and as a mother I want to be here for as much of Matilda's life as possible. Doing my bit to help try and preserve our environment for future generations coupled with the moral and ethical issues surrounding the meat industry I have decided to become vegetarian again. This time around it has been far more of an informed decision rather than just acting on a 'whim'. The meat industry is the largest contributor to global warming, despite not actually being all that good for you. But, what stands out for me most is that in years to come there will not be enough food on this planet for everyone. 45% of crops grown today are used as animal feed, in just over 30 years time, there will not be enough food on this planet for human beings. 

A lot of illnesses are caused by animal proteins, and if I can prevent myself from getting a life threatening disease then I will be any means do my best to do so. 

I have never liked it when people try and put their opinions onto me, and that is by no means what I am trying to do here, but this is why I feel that it is the best decision for me. I've already been asked about my decision to go vegetarian only to see people rolls their eyes at me and say 'I can't stand fussy eaters'. Fussy? Really?

Peace out!

No comments:

Post a Comment